The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Monday, October 8, 2007

Late Night Nib Talk: My Favorite Nib


Ooh, lookit that baby! The Hunt #101 Imperial nib, excellent for penmanship, copperplate calligraphy, ornamental work and funny cartoons. With its dual shoulder slits, fleur de lys vent hole, compass, and this thing in the stock that tells time, it's a cartoonist's best friend. Unless, of course, the tip is a little bit askew or there's something wrong with the tines, or it's got a little schmutz in the main slit, in which case it's an evil, twisted, deceitful little monster who'll screw up every drawing it puts its point to, dribble ink down the sheet and break your heart. And you know what the difference between a good nib and a bad one is? It's microscopic! You can't see it! But you'll know it the instant you put the nib to paper. And don't get me started on brushes.

Next on Late Night Nib Talk: how to give yourself an inadvertant jailhouse tattoo.

4 comments:

arcticcircle said...

My nib of choice is a Leonardt 63.5 from England. But I can't remember where i ordered it from. And the box I got so many years ago, which seemed to contain a lifetime's supply apparently doesn't. Which is making me very nervous...

That and the fact that the heavyweight cartridge I use for drawing on (220gsm, smooth as, no bleed!) is no longer available in NZ.

I know, I should experiment with other media, but I am scared to!

Jonathan said...

My favourite is the magical blue pumpkin nib (also known as the Braus Steno no. 361 nib) It can be a bit cranky at first but then who isn't

JoshM said...

A while back my sister gave me a nice "Authentic Models Classic Style" pen set. I'd never heard of it, but it looks nice -- wooden handles with a small selection of nibs. I've taken to using the #426 nib almost exclusively for my lettering; it's the smoothest, easiest line I've found yet.

For drawing, I have to use my Windsor & Newton sable brush.

Scott Nickel said...

I used to use a similar pen nib (although not nearly as well as you, of course), but I've succumbed to peer pressure and now use Micron and Pitt pens.

Oh the shame...