The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth of July


Here are a few old Almanacs that are appropriate for today. This first one is a parody of a feature the Washington Post ran throughout its 125th anniversary year, each day featuring a story and a small copy of the front page from that day in history. It was very fun to write, especially those f's. 

When I was a small kid large fireworks shows freaked me out. Eventually I came to enjoy them a lot, but the noise was too much for me. My aversion probably dated to a huge fireworks show I went to when I was two at Fort McHenry in Baltimore. I dove under a blanket and didn't show my face for days, or I wouldn't have if my folks didn't pretty much insist on it.
This last was from back about 7 or 8 years ago when there was some talk of designing a memorial for John Adams down on the memorial-choked Mall. For me it was all about drawing that huge disapproving face and those clouds of hair.

4 comments:

gilda92 said...

Is this the origin of Petey?
"My aversion probably dated to a huge fireworks show I went to when I was two.... I dove under a blanket and didn't show my face for days..."

paul bowman said...

I'm imagining a world in which you & Claes Oldenburg are co-chairs of a national monuments commission for the U.S. — It's blowing my mind a little.

Dave T said...

This is utterly unrelated to the topic at hand and I'm too lazy to go back and see if it was posted before, but I just saw this on the "Making It" site--a cartoon concerning the National Cartoonist Society Banquet, featuring finalist Mr Thompson. (That would be him on the bottom right...)

http://www.intellivisiongames.com/makingit/archive/mi100530.html

richardcthompson said...

Hahaha, snort. Yes it is!