The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Friday, February 24, 2012

The Final Cover

Dorothy O'Brien, et al at Andrews & McMeel did all of the work and Chris Sparks made me post this. I just do what I'm told*.

And so should you. Go order this, or at least bid a lot at the auction this summer.

I'm reliably informed by A.j. Michel that this is an example of a Droste effect. That's the new thing I've learned for today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The reference to the Droste effect in the home page blog is interesting. The name stems from a 1904 ad for the chocolate product that we first met when my father’s Dutch colleague gave my sister and me a Droste chocolate apple for Christmas. Read about it on Wikipedia. I have always thought of it as the Land O Lakes butter carton effect. I regarded it a little less fondly when I later heard that there was a hidden naughty visual joke in the image involving the Indian maiden’s knees on the cover’s Droste effect image. But I still buy Land O Lakes butter and ponder the infinite receding image phenomenon.