The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas 1994


In 1994 the theme for Christmas at Tyson's Corner Center, the behemoth of DC shopping malls, was "A Capital Christmas." They hired a bunch  of local cartoonists to draw Clinton as Santa to use on shopping bags and banners. This was mine (that's Sen. Dole, who I had not yet figured out how to draw) attacking his bag). For more go over to Mike Rhode's Comics DC blog. It was not a real popular theme and they returned to a less snarky decor in 1995.

Here's a Cul de Sac from about ten years later.

 

9 comments:

Muzition said...

Thanks for sharing.

I hope you're well, and merry Christmas!

Joyce said...

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a look of terror on Petey's face .. happy holidays, Mr. Thompson!

Anonymous said...

I was laughing by the second panel.

Mister Fweem said...

It's just not Christmas if I can't talk to my kids about magic Santa lice.

Peter Hermann said...

The Clinton drawing is amazing. I recognized Bob Dole instantly. You nailed him in my opinion. Best christmas wishes,
Peter

Sisyphos said...

Merry Christmas, Richard! Best wishes for the New Year1
Clinton and Dole is fine, but the German Expressionist Christmas at the mall is amazing! What a contrast between Petey's wary theory of Santa, elegant for an eight-year-old (though soon he may formulate another more cynical theory) and Alice's utter pragmatism!

H.V.Lukas said...

Merry Christmas! I hope it's a happy one.

pq said...

Happy Holidays, Richard Thompson! May the new year bring you improved health and a steadier hand and--dare we hope--a few new "special edition" cartoons for us. But even if the latter is out of the question, we will continue to enjoy everything in your archive just as much as on the first reading.

Judy Hartman said...

Hi Richard,
My husband and I are big Cul de Sac fans and were dismayed when this strip disappeared from the Boston Globe. Today I investigated and saw, sadly, that the strip had ended. But I'm glad to have found your blog and will happily go through your archives.
We wish you all the best and hope that you will find help with the very latest medical treatments.
Alice is my favorite and I have a frizzy-hair themed strip of her and her mother on my dresser mirror!
Be well - love your humor!